Frequently asked general questions:
1. Are the vacancies advertised on the homepage up to date and are there application deadlines?
The vacancies advertised on our homepage are always up to date. There are generally no application deadlines. Jobs are removed from the list as soon as we find a suitable candidate.
2. When should I apply?
If you are thinking of applying, please note that your current CV should cover around 2/3 of the requirements specified in the advert.
3. Can I apply for several jobs at the same time and can I apply for further jobs if my application is rejected?
You can apply to Hubert Burda Media as often as you wish. Please make sure to use different cover letters for each application. We expect completely separate applications to be submitted if applying for several positions with different contact persons. If you are unsuccessful, you can of course apply for further positions.
4. How do I apply to Hubert Burda Media?
Only online applications will be accepted. You can apply via the “Apply now!” link, which you will find in every advert. If you have any questions about our latest vacancies, please call us on +49 (0) 89 9250-1166.
5. Who is my contact and to whom should I address my cover letter?
The name of the relevant contact is given in each vacancy advertised.
6. How long does the online application process take?
Experience has shown that applicants require around 15 minutes to complete their submission. You can create a personal profile where your details will be saved. To save time when submitting any further applications, you can access your profile and any documents you have saved.
7. Do I need to add my CV details again by hand?
No. CV parsing extracts and fills in your information directly. This means that if you upload your CV in the first step, you can then skip the second page. CV parsing is not compulsory. If you do not wish to use this function, you can skip the first two pages and start on page 3 of the online application.
8. What should I do if I forget my login details?
Enter your name and email address in the relevant fields and we will send you new login details.
9. How long will my application documents be stored in the system?
10. Does Hubert Burda Media accept proactive applications?
If none of our current vacancies are suitable, you can of course submit a proactive application. Please state the area in which you wish to work, the potential time frame and your desired location.
11. What documents do I need to submit with my application and what is the maximum file size?
Please submit only the most important documents relevant to the job in question. In all cases, we require a strong cover letter, a CV, relevant references and samples of work if applicable. You can upload multiple files; for technical reasons, each file must be no larger than 6 MB.
12. How will I know if my application has been submitted successfully?
If your application is submitted successfully, a confirmation email will be sent to the address you have specified. If you do not receive this email, your application was not submitted successfully.
13. How does the application process work?
Once your application has successfully entered our system, you receive an automatic email notification. It will most likely take a little time for your application to be processed. You will be informed immediately of any developments.
Frequently asked questions on vocational training:
1. How long before training begins should I apply?
Training generally begins in the autumn of each calendar year. Applications should be submitted around one year in advance. For information on the training available, contact persons, application deadlines and start dates, please see the current vacancy listings.
2. What academic qualifications are required to join the training programme?
Different requirements apply to each profession. However, applicants should have at least a secondary school qualification. For information on specific requirements, please see the vocational training descriptions.
3. What form does the selection process take?
The selection process differs greatly depending on the profession and may include, for example, assessment centres, aptitude tests, interviews and internships. We will inform you in good time of the next steps in the selection process.
Frequently asked questions on dual studies:
1. How long before the dual studies begin should I apply?
Dual studies always begin in the winter semester. Applications should be submitted around one year in advance. For information on the training available, contact persons, application deadlines and start dates, please see the current vacancy listings.
2. What academic qualifications are required for the dual study programme?
Different requirements apply to each dual study programme. However, applicants should have at least a university entrance qualification. For information on the relevant requirements, please see the current vacancy listings.
3. What form does the selection process take?
The selection processes differ greatly and may include, for example, assessment centres, aptitude tests, interviews and internships. We will inform you in good time of the next steps in the selection process.
Frequently asked questions on internships, theses and student work experience:
1. How long do internships last at Hubert Burda Media and is there a specified minimum duration?
Internship periods can vary depending on the division. Most positions are compulsory internships lasting a minimum of three months and a maximum of six months. Alternatively, you can complete a voluntary internship lasting a maximum of three months. For more detailed information on the type and duration of internships, please see the vacancy listings on our homepage.
2. Is a certificate of enrolment required for internships?
If you are enrolled as a student and taking part in one of our internships, then we require a certificate of enrolment.
3. Can I send in a proactive application for an internship at Hubert Burda Media?
If none of our current internships are suitable, you can also submit a proactive application. Please state the area in which you wish to work, the potential time frame and the location.
4. Does Hubert Burda Media offer internships abroad as well?
If you would like to complete an internship at one of our international locations, please apply directly to the relevant foreign branch. In exceptional cases, internships abroad are also listed with the current vacancies.
5. Does Burda assign thesis topics and how can I apply to complete my thesis at Hubert Burda Media?
If you would like to write a Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis with a practical focus, we look forward to receiving your topic proposals for specific company divisions. Available positions for theses with predefined topics are listed on our homepage with all current vacancies. Ideally, you will combine your thesis work with an internship at Hubert Burda Media.
6. Can I complete a student internship at Hubert Burda Media?
Student internships are extremely limited. Please apply only for the vacancies advertised and do not submit speculative applications.
Frequently asked questions on the trainee programmes and direct entry:
1. Does Hubert Burda Media have a trainee programme?
Master’s graduates can apply to the Management Graduate Programme and Bachelor´s graduates to the Bachelor trainee programme with the aim of securing subsequent employment at Hubert Burda Media. The programmes are advertised twice a year (spring and autumn) and have flexible start times.
2. When do the programmes start?
Successful applicants can start the programmes within the five months after the application period.
3. How does the trainee selection process work?
The selection process has several stages, including a telephone interview and a two-day assessment centre.
4. In which Hubert Burda Media divisions do trainees work?
Trainees are employed in several divisions and various locations; these vary depending on the vacancy.
5. When should I apply for a trainee programme and which documents should I include in my application?
Please wait until the programme is advertised on our homepage to submit your application. This should include a strong statement of motivation, a CV and relevant references.
6. Which company divisions accept direct entrants?
There are opportunities for direct entry in almost all divisions of Hubert Burda Media. For more detailed information and requirements, please see the current vacancy listings.
Frequently asked questions on training at the Burda Journalism School:
1. Are there any requirements for trainees at the BJS?
To become a trainee at the BJS, you must have completed your studies or vocational training and have completed journalism internships with daily newspapers or (online) editorial teams. Applicants must also demonstrate a strong affinity with the subject matter of the editorial team in question.
An internship of at least four weeks with one of Burda’s editorial teams is recommended, but not compulsory. This internship enables you to prove your skills as a journalist and qualify for the traineeship acceptance test. The relevant editors-in-chief select their candidates for the selection test from the year’s interns and applicants. The test takes place once a year, usually in early summer.
2. Do I need to apply for a specific editorial team and which of the advertised internships can lead to a traineeship?
Yes, please apply for the specific location and editorial team in which you would like to complete your internship and, if applicable, a subsequent traineeship. Traineeships are not available in all editorial teams. For more information, please contact the recruiting centre.
3. Can I apply to Hubert Burda Media for a traineeship with the online editorial team?
Hubert Burda Media does not offer online traineeships. All training at the Burda Journalism School has a cross-media focus; cross-media and multimedia content are central components. Participants also complete at least one online posting during their training. Graduates of the School can work in both print and online editorial teams.
BurdaForward, a Burda holding, also offers online traineeships with Chip.de, Focus Online, Huffington Post and NetMoms. These traineeships do not take place at the Burda Journalism School and start dates vary depending on the editorial team. Traineeships are added to the vacancy listings as soon as applications open. The recruiting centre will be happy to answer any questions.
Frequently asked technical questions:
1. Which browsers do you support?
For all common browsers, we support the version with the greatest market share, the version before this and all higher versions. We recommend using Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer 11.
2. An error message appears when I upload my files. Why is that?
The file may be too big. Please note that individual files must be no larger than 6 MB. Alternatively, you may be using the wrong format. We support all common formats such as PDF, JPG, PNG, Doc, Docx, TIFF and Excel.